Agebitashi Salad with Summer Vegetables
| VEGETARIAN |
| MARINADING PROCESS TAKES 30 MIN |
for two servings
2 / MEDIUM EGGPLANT preferably Japanese or Italian (long skinny ones)
1/2 / MEDIUM ONION
1/2 / MEDIUM BELL PEPPER
for the marinade
- Cut eggplant, onion and bell pepper into bite size. Remove water with paper towel.
- Ground ginger. Combine all ingredients for the marinade.
- Heat up oil in a pan and deep fry* vegetables over medium heat for about a few mins. Small amounts at a time. Drain.
- Add into sauce while still hot.
- Let it marinade for 30 min to overnight.
- Agebitashi is a cooking method to deep-fry and marinade in rice vinegar, soy sauce and mirin base sauce.
- Try other vegetables such as long beans and asparagus.
- Tastes great the second day. Try on top of soup noodles.
* Deep frying with minimum oil technique from “Agenai Agemono” by Yoko Ishihara was used here. The two key points are 1: Use a spoon to occasionally pour over some oil on top. 2: Tilt pan to create a deeper pool of oil.
adopted from Yukimasa Rika no Osu Ryori by Rika Yukimasa