Classic Oyakodon Bowl
- Cut onion and chicken into about 1" (2.5 cm) squares.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a pan. Bring to a boil.
- Add onion and chicken. Cook until soft over medium heat. Then add green onion.
- Beat egg in a bowl.
- Stir in 3/4 egg with a circular motion. Gently move the bubbling egg from the edge towards the center. Cook for about a minute.
- Stir in 1/4 egg. Turn off heat after 30 seconds. Cover. Let it cook with remaining heat for a minute.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with shredded nori on top.
- The name “Oyakodon” means kid and parent rice bowl. You know... chicken and egg. Very popular easy-to-make home dish in Japan.
- My personal favorite is to accompany with thinly sliced jalapeno in rice vinegar. A chaser similar to ginger with sushi.
- Traditionally mitsuba herb is added on top as garnish to add aromatic flavor to the dish.