All Purpose Onion Dressing
1/2 / YELLOW ONION
4 tbsp / SOY SAUCE
1 1/2 tbsp / RICE VINEGAR
2 tbsp / MIRIN
2 tbsp / EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
1/2 tbsp / LEMON JUICE
a few pinches / BONITO FLAKES
SEA SALT and BLACK PEPPER to taste
- Roughly chop the onion and puree in a blender.
- Bring mirin to a boil in a pot for a few seconds to remove the alcohol content. Let it cool.
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl. Break the bonito flakes into smaller pieces with your fingers.
- Heat up the mixture in a pot over mid heat. Stir constantly. Turn off the heat once it reaches a simmer. Let it cool.
- Step 5 (heating up the mixture) is to remove the pungent aftertaste of onions.
- Store it in a jar. It lasts for 7 to 10 days in refrigerator.
- It is good for literally anything. Salad, steamed potatoes, carrots, broccoli, boiled eggs, chicken, tofu, gyoza etc. My favorite is mixing with natto!