Cube Steak with Ginger Chips
for two servings
2 fillet / CUT OF BEEF such as boneless prime rib
2" (5 cm) / GINGER
2 tbsp / SOY SAUCE
2 tbsp / SAKE
1 tbsp / MIRIN
WATERCRESS for garnish
SALT and PEPPER
- Season meat with salt and pepper on both sides. Bring meat to room temperature. Cut into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes.
- Peel and cut ginger into thin slices.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet and cook the ginger over low heat until nicely golden.
- Strain out the ginger and spread over paper towel. Keep 1 tsp of oil in the skillet.
- Heat remaining oil over mid-high heat. Cook both sides of meat no more than 1-2 minutes. Remove.
- Cook soy sauce, sake and mirin in skillet with remaining oil from meat over high heat for 1-2 min.
- Dress meat with the sauce. Top with water crest and ginger chips. Serve hot.
adopted from Washoku no Simple Recipe by Eiko Oba