Classic Dashimaki Omlette with Watercress
4 / MEDIUM EGG
3-4 stalk / WATERCRESS
5 tbsp / DASHI BROTH
1 tbsp / MIRIN
2 tsp / SOY SAUCE
COOKING OIL such as Canola, Rapeseed
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add dashi, mirin and soysauce. Mix together. Strain for smooth finish.
- Add chopped watercress.
- Heat up 1 tsp of cooking oil in a non-stick pan over low heat.
- Once the pan is heated, add 1/5 of the mixture. Cover the entire surface by tilting the pan.
- When the egg is starting to solidify at the bottom, while still runny on the surface, gently roll up the egg to one side.
5. Pour another 1/5 of the mixture. Lift up the first egg roll to allow the second pour to pass underneath.
6. Roll up the egg towards you this time.
7. Repeat step 4 and 6 until finishing the whole mixture.
8. Wrap the roll with Makisu (a bamboo mat for sushi rolls) or a sheet of kitchen paper. Shape the roll by pressuring evenly with your hand over the mat/paper.
9. Cut them into about 1". Serve hot or cold.