Chicken Avocado Salad with Wasabi Lemon
for two servings
for the boiled chicken
3 piece (about 1/2 lb or 225 g) / CHICKEN THIGHS
2 stalk / GREEN ONION
2 thick slice / GINGER WITH SKIN
1/2 cup / SAKE
1/2 cup / WATER
for the dressing
3 tbsp / SOY SAUCE
1 tbsp / RICE VINEGAR
2 tbsp / MIRIN
2 tsp / OLIVE OIL
2 tsp / WASABI
1 / MEDIUM AVOCADO
1/2 / MEYER LEMON
KAIWARE SPROUTS and A WEDGE OF LEMON on top to serve
- Put all the boiled chicken ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook at a bare simmer for 15 min.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 min. Place the chicken in a bowl to cool.
- Cut the avocado and the cooled chicken into cubes and add lemon juice.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the cubes in the dressing and toss gently.
- Use bone-in chicken if possible for better flavor.
- Kaiware sprouts are baby daikon radish. They have a nice peppery kick. Peppery arugula can be a great substitute.
- The chicken broth makes a great soup base. Skim rising foam from the surface. Keep it clear for other uses.
adopted from Kondate Yarikuri Benricho by Mook