Miso Glazed Eggplant Dengaku
| VEGETARIAN |
for two servings
2 / MEDIUM EGGPLANT preferably Japanese or Italian (long skinny proportion)
2 tbsp / ALL PURPOSE FLOWER
2 tbsp / COOKING OIL
for miso mix
2 tbsp / RED MISO
1 tbsp / MIRIN
1 tbsp / SAKE
KARASHI MUSTARD to serve
WHITE SESAME to serve
- Cut eggplant into 1/2" (1.3 cm) thickness. Soak in salt water for a few minutes. Drain.
- Dry with paper towel. Score crosswise at the top. Put a thin layer of flower on the same side.
- Combine all miso mix ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan. Place eggplant with top side down. Cook for 5 min over low heat until golden.
- Turn over. Put a layer of miso mix on top. Cover. Cook for 3 min over low heat.
- Turn over again. Cook for about 1 min uncovered until miso layer gets caramelized.
- Top with karashi mustard and sesame. Serve hot.
- Pay extra attention at step 6 to avoid miso from burning.
adopted from Nasuno Dengaku by Takuji Takahashi on NHK Kyono Ryouri