Spinach Curry Rice
for three to four servings
1 bunch / SPINACH
1/2 lb / MIX OF GROUND PORK AND BEEF
1 / MEDIUM YELLOW ONION
2 clove / GARLIC
2 " (5cm) / GINGER
2 cup / VEGETABLE or CHICKEN BROTH
1 1/2 cup / WHOLE PEELED TOMATO
2 leaf / BAY LEAF
2 tbsp / ALL PURPOSE FLOWER
2 piece / RED CHILI PEPPER or 1 tsp / RED CHILI FLAKE
for the spice mix
- Cook finely chopped garlic, ginger and onion in a pot until golden. About 20 min.
- Add meat, chili and bay leaves. Stir.
- Add flower and half of spice mix. Stir.
- Add broth and tomato. Crush tomato and stir more.
- Add one tsp of salt. Cover and cook for about 30 min.
- Chop spinach into 1/2" strips (1.3 cm). Heat oil in pan and cook spinach over high heat for about 1 min. Sprinkle some salt.
- Add spinach and remaining spice mix in pot. Cook for about 5 min. Taste and add salt as necessary.
- Serve on rice with slices of cheese to aside.
- The creaminess of cheese matches with the heat of spices.
- Quick pan-frying removes unpleasant astringency from spinach.
adopted from Karadaga Sukkirisuru Okazu by Orangepage