Edamame Tempura Bowl
| vegetarian |
for two servings
1 cup / FROZEN EDAMAME
1/4 / MEDIUM ONION
1/2 / MEDIUM CARROT
2" (5 cm) / GINGER
1 tbsp / ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
3 tbsp / ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
3 tbsp / ICY COLD WATER
3 tbsp / SOY SAUCE
2 tbsp / MIRIN
2 tbsp / WATER
SALT for edamame
COOKING OIL for deep fry
SHORT GRAIN RICE to serve
- Cook edamame in salted boiling water. (Follow the instructions on package.)
- Chop carrot, onion and ginger into small strips. Put all vegetables in a bowl and sprinkle one tbsp of flour. Mix.
- For batter, combine 3 tbsp of flour with icy cold water. Mix lightly with vegetables.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Gently slide 1/4 amount of the mix in oil. Make a flat circular shape using a spatula or chopsticks.
- Cook both sides at 360°F (180°C) for about 2 min. Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Repeat steps 5 and 6.
- For sauce, heat up mirin in a pan to remove alcohol. Turn off heat and add soy sauce and water.
- Serve on rice. Drizzle sauce over.
- Try any vegetables and mushrooms you have on hand.
- It is important to use icy cold water and not to mix too much for step 3 to make tempura crispy. Cook small amount at a time.