Steamed Cod with Ankake Sauce
for two servings
2 fillet / WHITE FISH such as COD and SNAPER
2 / MEDIUM SHITAKE MUSHROOM
1/2 / MEDIUM CARROT
2" (5cm) / GINGER
3 stalk / GREEN ONION
1 tsp / POTATO STARCH
1 tbsp / SAKE
1 tsp / SOY SAUCE
1 tsp / SESAME OIL
1 tsp / MIRIN
CILANTRO for garnish
SESAME OIL and RED CHILI PEPPER to serve
SALT and PEPPER
- Cut fillet in half and dress with mixture of marinade ingredients.
- Cut vegetables, mushrooms and ginger into thin slices. Put them on top of the fish.
- Bring water to boil in a steamer and place the fish inside.
- Cover and steam for about 10 min over high heat.
- Transfer broth from fish into a small pot. Heat it up.
- Dissolve potato starch in double the amount of water in a bowl, then stir into the broth.
- Sprinkle sesame oil and red chili. Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Top with cilantro and serve with the sauce poured on top.
- Ankake is a thick clear sauce made of potato starch and water.
adopted from lettuceclub.net