Braised Clam and Seasonal Vegetable
| PURGE SAND FROM CLAMS THE NIGHT BEFORE |
for two servings
12 piece / CLAMS such as long neck and manila clams
6 / NEW POTATO (small potatoes with thin skin)
6 / MEDIUM BRUSSEL SPROUT
2 / MEDIUM CARROT
4 stalk / ASPARAGUS
3 clove / GARLIC
1/2 cup / WHITE WINE
3 tbsp / OLIVE OIL
PARSLEY to serve
SEA SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- Submerge clams in a bowl of salt water to remove sand prior to cooking. (30 min minimum, overnight ideal)
- Cut vegetables and peel garlic. Cross cut the bottom of brussel sprouts. Crush garlic lightly with the flat of a knife.
- Heat up oil in a deep cast iron skillet with a lid. Cook garlic cloves over low heat until nicely browned.
- Add hard vegetables such as potato and carrot. Cook with lid about 10 min. Add brussel sprout, cover and cook another 5 min
- Add clams and white wine. Put the lid back on and braise over medium heat until clams open.
- Add asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Cook another 15 min with lid on.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley. Serve hot.
- Most any seasonal vegetable should work.
- For nicely browned garlic, tilt skillet to submerge it in oil.
adopted from La Petite Epicerie recipe post in 2009