Crunchy Cabbage Shumai
| CABBAGE QUICK PICKLING PROCESS TAKES ABOUT 30 MIN |
for two servings
1/4 or 4-5 leaf / MEDIUM CABBAGE
1/2 lb / GROUND PORK
1/2 / MEDIUM ONION
2 tsp / POTATO STARCH
for mix sauce
1 1/2 tbsp / POTATO STARCH
1 tbsp / SOY SAUCE
1 tbsp / SESAME OIL
1 pinch / SALT
- Remove the hard center of cabbage and cut into thin slices. Use a slicer if you own one.
- Put in a plastic bag, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of salt and massage. Let it sit until compressible, 30 min to overnight .
- Squeeze excessive water out of cabbage by hand. Put in a bowl and add 2 tsp of potato starch. Mix and put aside.
- Chop onion into small fine pieces.
- Combine mix sauce ingredients, chopped onions and pork in a bowl. Knead well by hand.
- Make the mix into 15-18 balls. Wrap with cabbage.
- Steam over high heat for about 10-15 min.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce and mustard.
- Cabbage needs to be soft thin strips for easy wrapping.
- Keep the size of each ball less than 1-1 1/4" (2.5-3 cm) without cabbage layer to steam throughly.
adopted from Kondate Yarikuri Benricho by Mook