Croquette with Cabbage and Ground Meat
- Cut cabbage into thin slices and then into about 1" (2.5 cm) length.
- Chop onion into small fine pieces.
- Mix ground meat, salt and black pepper in a bowl. Add cabbage, onion and panko in the mixture. Knead well by hand.
- Make the mix into 4-5 cakes.
- Coat with flower first, beat egg, and then panko.
- Heat up oil in a pan and cook each sidefor about 3-4 min until gold.* Drain.
- Serve hot with accompanying salt and pepper.
- Makes a great sandwich filling. Also, a great accompaniment with curry.
- Alternatively squeeze a wedge of lemon or top with karashi mustard.
* Deep frying with minimum oil technique from “Agenai Agemono” by Yoko Ishihara was used here. The two key points are 1: Use a spoon to occasionally pour over some oil on top. 2: Tilt pan to create a deeper pool of oil.