Classic Chawanmushi Egg Custard
for three to five servings
2 / MEDIUM EGG
1 cup / MUSHROOM such as Shiitake, Shimeji, Enoki
1/4 lb / CHICKEN BREAST or THIGH
2-3 stalk / WATERCRESS
2 cup / DASHI BROTH
1/2 tbsp / SOY SAUCE
1/2 tbsp / MIRIN
1 pinch / SEA SALT
MEYER LEMON SKIN to serve
- Mix together dashi broth, soy sauce, mirin and salt in a bowl. Whisk the eggs separately.
- Combine the dashi with the egg. Small amounts at a time. Stir constantly. Run the mixture through a strainer into another bowl.
- Put a small cut of chicken, mushroom and watercress equally into cups/mugs. (the image is showing 3" diameter 2.5" deep cups. 5 of them are used.)
- Pour over the dashi egg mixture equally into each cup. Skim the bubbles with a spoon for smoother surface.
- Bring a steamer to boil. Place the cups inside. Put the lid back on.
- Steam over medium heat for 3 min followed low heat for 12-15 min.
- Add grated meyer lemon skin on top. Serve hot.
- Pay extra attention to step 6. The goal is a silky soft texture with a smooth surface. Cooking too long will result in an uneven rough surface like in the image.
- Try a variety of ingredients such as a small piece of mochi, fish, clams, shrimp.
- Typically mitsuba herb and yuzu citrus are used instead of watercress and meyer lemon. Try them if you find them at a market!
adopted from Washoku no Simple Recipe by Eiko Oba