Brussel Sprout Savory Okonomiyaki Pancakes
for 2 servings (4-5 pancakes)
4 tbsp / ALL PURPOSE FLOWER
1 / MEDIUM EGG
1/3 cup / DASHI BROTH
1/2 tsp / SOY SAUCE
1 pinch / SEA SALT
1 pinch / FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
2 strip / BACON (optional)
6-8 / MEDIUM to LARGE BRUSSEL SPROUTS for the inside
4-5 / MEDIUM to LARGE BRUSSEL SPROUTS for garnish
OLIVE OIL for cooking
MAYO and SHICHIMI TOGARSHI PEPPER for dipping sauce (optional)
- Stir all purpose flower, dashi broth and egg together in a bowl.
- Add sliced brussel sprout, bacon slices, salt, soy sauce and black pepper into the mixture.
- Heat up a tsp of olive oil over medium heat. Make a circular shape (w/ or w/o mold) with a 1/4 of the mixture.
- Cook both sides until browned and crisp. If you are using a mold, remove it when one side is cooked before flipping over the pancake.
- Pan fry the rest of the brussel sprouts for garnish with olive oil and sprinkles of salt.
- Serve hot with mayo+hichimi dipping sauce.
- Use a slicer for brussel sprouts to achieve softer texture.
- A mold helps to make a smooth round shape, but not necessary. 3.5" mold is used in the images. Those are easily found at a baking section.
- Keep the okonomiyaki hight within 1/2- 1" to get a nice charred brussel sprouts and bacon with perfect bitterness and sweetness.
- Shichimi Tograshi Pepper is a spice mix of seven ingredients such as yuzu skin, sesame, chili.
Recipe by Ayumi O.