Chicken with Basil Paste
for two servings
1/2 lb / CHICKEN BREAST or THIGH (w/ or w/o skin)
1 tsp / SEA SALT
1 tsp / FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1/2 cup / OLIVE OIL
for the basil paste
10-15 leaves / FRESH BASIL
2 tbsp / PARMESAN CHEESE
2 tbsp / PINE NUTS
3 tbsp / EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
a pinch / SEA SALT
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and pour olive oil over the chicken on both sides. Let sit for 15 min. For chicken with skin, make several diagonal cuts on the skin side.
- Cover tray with plastic wrap and steam the chicken for about 15 min.
- Mix all the ingredients for the paste with a grinder.
- Slice chicken thin. Serve hot or cold with the basil paste on top.
- To keep the chicken moist and tender, remove from the steamer before throughly cooked. Keep the plastic wrap on and set it aside letting it cook all the way through using the remaining heat for about 5 min.
- The left over basil paste can be used as a spread on a piece of toast or for a pasta dish.
- To make it even easier, buy your favorite jar of pesto and use on top of your perfectly home steamed chicken!
adopted from La Petite Epicerie recipe post in 2012