Whole Onion in Dashi Broth
- Peel the onions and cut crosswise at the bottom halfway through. (see the ref photo)
- Mix soy sauce and mirin in broth. Submerge the onions almost half way with dashi mixture with cut side down in a pot.
- Cover with lid. Simmer over low to medium heat until they get soft all the way through. About 1 -1.5 hr. Turn over the onions along the way.
- Serve hot with kaiware on top and mustard to the side.
- A cast-iron pot like Staub works nicely.
- Since it is a very simple dish, home made dashi is recommended.
- Kaiware sprouts are baby daikon radish. They have a nice peppery kick. Mustardy and peppery arugula can be a good substitute.
- Karashi mustard is a spicy Japanese mustard made of oriental mustard seeds. Alternatively try fresh ground pepper.
adopted from Kubara Honke Group post on 5/24/2010